Did you know that plaque buildup and harmful acids play a small role in the grand scheme of dangers to your teeth and gums? Although it is extremely wise to brush your teeth twice daily and floss every day, there are other not-so-hidden dangers that we face every day. Listed below are some common tooth hazards to watch out for:
– Avoid using your mouth to open objects or chew on things. Soda cans tabs, pen caps, and even chewing on your fingernails all present serious risks to your teeth and gums.
– Be careful about which products you eat. Your teeth are strong, but chewing on foods that are too hard can easily break them.
– Contact sports can crush your smile. A single blow to the face is enough to damage your jaw and teeth for the rest of your life. Always wear safety gear including mouth guards, face masks, and head gear.
– You may think that smoking and chewing tobacco will help you with stress or anxiety, but the added risks of tooth decay, gum disease, and premature death from oral cancer will not.
– Oral health disorders such as bruxism can wear down your teeth over time. To avoid the effects of unconsciously grinding your teeth, wear mouth guards or bite plates.
– Avoid all types of mouth jewelry, as they can cause bleeding, infections, chipped or cracked teeth, and even choking.
If you would like to schedule a professional cleaning at Woodruff Family Dental or would like a comprehensive oral exam from Dr. Tim Woodruff and our team at our dentist office in Jonesboro, Arkansas, please give us a call at 870-972-8190. Contact us for a brighter whiter smile today!