A dental crown is a porcelain or metal cap that our dentist places over a tooth to protect it or improve its appearance. If you have had a root canal operation, if your tooth has been weakened by a significant cavity, or if your tooth has a serious chip or discoloration that detracts from its appearance, our dentist may propose a crown. If you've had any of these tooth difficulties, contact Woodruff Family Dental to learn how our dentist can help you get a dental crown. A dental crown can last 5 to 15 years, and frequently longer if properly cared for.
What Are Dental Crowns?
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped, custom-made 'cap' that is placed over a tooth to protect it or to improve its appearance. Dental crowns are used to restore the shape, size, and strength of a tooth, as well as to improve its overall appearance.
The Benefits of Dental Crowns
- Improve your oral hygiene and smile.
- Can be used to repair badly damaged or decaying teeth, as well as to protect teeth after a root canal or the implantation of a dental implant.
- Replace any worn or big fillings.
- The procedure is simple and quite painless.
Procedure for Dental Crowns
- Our dentist administers a local anesthetic.
- Our dentist will file down the tooth that has to be fixed to make way for the crown.
- An impression of the filed-down tooth and the teeth around it is obtained. This impression will be used to create your final crown. Based on the impression, the crown is constructed using restorative material. The final crown will be shaped to fit your mouth.
- Our dentist will install a temporary crown over the tooth that needs to be treated until your final crown is ready. The temporary crown is created by taking an impression of your teeth before it has been filed down. It safeguards your tooth until the final crown is completed. A temporary crown may not have the same shape or color as a permanent crown.
- Our dentist will remove the temporary crown and replace it with the permanent crown at your next appointment. The crown will be examined by the dentist to ensure that it is the right fit, shape, color, and bite. If this is the case, our dentist will cement the crown into place.
To learn more about dental crowns, contact Woodruff Family Dental at 870-972-8190 or come to 2800 Enterprise Cv, Jonesboro, AR 72401 to schedule an appointment with one of our professional dentists.